Featured student: Danielle Dressell

Danielle DressellWhere are you from originally? What’s your Origin Story?

I was born in Atlantic City New Jersey. My family moved to Jacksonville Beach when I was 4 years young and I have been a resident of the beaches ever since.

Why are you pursuing a degree in Digital Media?

I have always had a creative side, as well as an intellectual side, to myself. I spent most of my 20’s shooting film based photography and video as a hobby. In my mid twenties I decided to go toward my Pre-Law degree at FSCJ. I nearly made it all the way until I had a severe car accident that would take 4 years of rehabilitation. After that, I decided that I wanted to follow a career that would ignite my passion, creativity and stimulate me intellectually. It took only two classes upon my return to FSCJ in 2011 to make the switch from Pre-Law to Digital Media. I am so glad that everything happened the way that it did. I’d be an attorney right now. Ha.

Who inspires you the most and why?

In a design sense it would be David Carson. The man is phenomenal. Out of the box, on his terms, incredible. In a Film sense it would have to be Woody Allen and Jim Jarmusch, to name the top two. When I did my first film, Professor Govoni introduced me to Maya Deren as a result of my work. She is pretty unique as well and I could immediately see some of her bold subtleties in my own works.

What do you do off campus?

I live near the beaches so I go for walks on the beach all of the time. It is quite meditative and very relaxing.  I love spontaneous road trips with friends. I also have a dog, I call him Moo, and we go to Tide Views Preserve in Atlantic Beach a lot. My InstaGram is filled with pictures from there.

What work are you most proud of?

My films. It is amazing to have an idea/concept/story and watch it come to life through storyboarding, live filming, editing and those who portray the characters within. There is nothing else quite like it.

Interesting facts about you:

I write poetry, and lots of it. I have a few collections, which I was unaware of becoming a collector of; sunglasses, old keys, and hats. I danced for 15 years at Polly B Dance Academy and competed on the Talent America Show Team for 3 of those years. I was also a choreographer of a few pieces that were performed by my fellow teammates.

Favorite Book / Movie / Series / Video Game / Comic?

Peaky Blinders” the series was/is an amazing cinematic experience.  “The Cell” is such a very well acted/choreographed movie; it is nearly impossible to not be included as a ‘must see’.  “The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus” will give you the utmost vivid dreams you ever believed possible.  “Basquiat” was a truly great documentary; as well as “Pollock”.  Just to name a few. I am a huge fan of documentaries.  Anything by Woody Allen, Jim Jarmusch, Tim Burton, Quentin Tarantino.

It is difficult to choose a book out of the many that I have. I am not drawn to a specific genre when it comes to books; with the exception that I typically read that which is non-fiction and intriguing. I believe that people should read what they are drawn to and something that inspires them in some way. Patty Smith wrote a book called, “Just Kids”. I highly recommend it.

Videogames, I wish I had the time. Lol

Comics, I love the concepts, storytelling and illustrations, within comic books. Though, I’m not a follower/reader per say.

What are your future goals and aspirations?

I would like to continue my education as long as I can. I believe it is a necessity to never stop learning/seeking/searching for things in life that inspire you; whether it be school or road trips, learning or remembering, friends or experiences. I want to inspire others. I want to create art that is uniquely mine and have it mean something, anything really. My utmost goal for the future, in a career sense, is to be the Creative Director for a magazine, film, or marketing company. I try not to worry too much about what will come. It will come. When it does, I’m here. I’m ready.

One thing you wish you could share with others is…

No matter where you find yourself in this life, it is never too late to find yourself. Grow. Love. Transform. Believe and Dare to inspire!

You can see some of Danielle’s work on her website

danid-artcreative.com

Our featured students are student-selected. Once a student has been featured, they nominate the next student to be profiled. Come back next month to see who’s been picked!
Have any questions? Please contact Professor Liz Murphy Thomas at Liz.Thomas@fscj.edu